[Qgis-user] "Show Feature Count" very slow for remote database layer

Steve Pritchard steve.pritchard at bto.org
Mon Nov 30 06:10:22 PST 2015

I'm using QGIS Lyon (2.12.0) to access an Oracle 11.2 database on a remote
site. Although it's a bit slow, it works fine.

However if I turn on "Show Feature Count", QGIS hangs for about 50 seconds
before it comes back with the count. And when I subsequently open the
project again there's a similar delay while it updates the feature count.

Looking at the debug logs, it appears that QGIS is doing the count by
reading in each feature in turn, which not surprisingly is slow for a
remote database.

Why doesn't QGIS just do "select count(*) ...", which would be much faster?

Steve Pritchard
UK