[Qgis-user] Removing artifacts in a created DEM

Brent Wood pcreso at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 18 22:29:05 PDT 2015

Not a QGIS (or GRASS) based solution, but GMT (Generic Mapping Tools) has some excellent gridding tools, and for the same price :-)
 xyz2grd     http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/doc/5.1.0/xyz2grd.htmlsurface (very powerful & configureable)    http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/doc/5.1.0/surface.html
greenspline    http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/doc/5.1.0/greenspline.html
triangulate    http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/doc/5.1.0/triangulate.htmlsphtriangulate    http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/doc/5.1.0/sphtriangulate.htmlnearneighbour    http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/doc/5.1.0/nearneighbor.html

Surface in particular - as you increase the surface tension parameter, you will get a model which gets smoother - removing artifacts but also real spikes. Triangulation fits a surface touching each datapoint, with no smoothing, so tends to create ridges or valleys on the lines between points.
Whatever tool you use, no one algorithm fits all datasets well, which is why there are so many of them! You may need to experiment with the algorithm (command) and parameters (including grid increment size) which give the "best" result - ie: the one you like most :-)
Cheers,
  Brent Wood