[Qgis-user] QGIS 2.10.1 adding PostGIS Views

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Tue Sep 1 13:50:24 PDT 2015

Hi James,

On Tue, 01. Sep 2015 at 13:15:59 -0400, James Keener wrote:
> I'd alo like to point out that the primary key need not be a single field.
> For instance (state_fips, county_fips) could be a valid key for county-based
> metrics. Going back to the previous question I posed, do we want to tell
> users to conform to a single-field primary key or will qgis accept valid
> schema designs. Again, it comes down to dev time vs the cost to the user
> experience.

And not all that difficult - we support that for postgresql and oracle tables.
spatialite doesn't need it, because it has an internal rowid (like postgresql's
old oid).  MSSQL does not yet support it.

That could be used for views too - but the user would still have to provide
which columns to use.  Automatically deducing the key columns from the view is
probably to expensive for real use (for that reason we don't even try to for
single columns).

But to me it still isn't that frequently requested that I'd like to jump on it
in my own time (which IIRC is what I did with the postgresql provider - both
for ctid and multicolumn keys).

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode