[Qgis-user] Creating Zones around a point

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Sep 12 23:31:36 PDT 2015

Il 13/09/2015 00:01, Slade Beard ha scritto:
> I have imported a .csv file layer into QGIS. This has a set of points in
> it and a name. I need to create two sets of ringed zones around these
> points, one set at a distance of 0.5km to 3km, then one from 10km to
> 15km. I have been trying to build these using the Buffers geoprocessing
> tool from fTools. This just gives me a completely shaded view of the
> entire map. What tool should I be using? Should I convert the .csv file
> into a .shp first? This will obviously mean some conversions back to
> hand the file back to the client that is using cad tools instead.
>

> Any help would be appreciated.

You can try:

http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/Multi_Ring_Buffer/
http://plugins.qgis.org/plugins/MultiDistanceBuffer/

or some options in some of the buffer commands in Processing.
Be careful about projections (those in degrees are less suitable).
Please report back your results.
All the best.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu