[Qgis-user] QGIS users in Southeastern New England, US

Brent Wood pcreso at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 2 13:54:46 PDT 2016

Hi Michael,

You could do a lot worse than trying BostonGIS:http://www.bostongis.com/

Brent Wood(QGIS User New Zealand :-)
      From: Michael Callahan <qgis at callahanresources.com>
 To: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
 Sent: Sunday, April 3, 2016 4:34 AM
 Subject: [Qgis-user] QGIS users in Southeastern New England, US

I'm in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, US where we are very behind on use of
Open Source Software. I'm looking for other users of QGIS, and the towns
and non-profits I've spoken to around here are entrenched with
proprietary software.

I'm pursuing a certificate in GIS. I switched to Linux over a decade ago
(mostly Ubuntu now). I'm looking to do an optional, unpaid internship to
pick up experience, and I'm having trouble finding any company or
government body here that uses QGIS or even knows what it or FOSS or
Linux is.

I've tried contacting a few of the speakers that will be at the
inaugural users meeting in DC. (That is something I just cannot get to.)
The
College has tried reaching out to a few groups too, without success.

I'm open to suggestions, but would much rather use my learning QGIS than
proprietary software, which I think is a step
backwards. While class refuses to do anything but ESRI, I've been using
my off-time to learn QGIS from the online videos that the community has
produced.

With gratitude to the community //mc