[Qgis-user] QGIS users in Southeastern New England, US

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Sat Apr 2 14:54:21 PDT 2016

Hi,
You could try things like botanical gardens or a zoo.  They have a huge need for GIS but don't really know it!  Most will have some type of software but you could use Qgis in that type of setting to show them it's use.
In my opinion, it is more important to have a cool workplace and learn about GIS what ever the software is. The more you learn about data manipulation,  the better you will be.   Your Qgis experience will never be lost.  You can also ask all your teachers to accept work done on open source software.  That should be easy to do. I did that at McGill university and I find that as a result, teacher are asking more and more about what I can do.  Also, working about other software will show different ways of dealing with the same problem.  That is always a plus.
Forcing open source is hard in a commercial setting mostly because the clients have there software requirements.  But once you are in, you can slowly infiltrate the system and get them slowly but surely.  In our office, (archaeologist)  we had one computer equipped with AutoCAD and MapInfo.  Now, we still have that computer running but we now have more then 10 stations equiped with Qgis and other open source software so everyone that need to deal with space now can.  As a result, we produce better sciences.
Good luck finding an internship.  I hope you find something using open source but if not, get something that rocks!
Nicolas