[Qgis-user] merged files generating "bad handles"

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Wed Feb 17 09:46:32 PST 2016

Hey Buddy!

It helps if you give more info on the platform you are using (Windows,
Linux disto...) the QGis version and the way you are accessing the GDAL
merge.  That being said, if you are using the processing toolbox plugin
to use this tool, it will, by default, save the results as a temporary
file that is probably erased when you log off.  You need to specify the
file name and the complete path to make sure you will keep the file.
Once the file is loaded in Qgis, it will normally not have the name you
gave it but will have a generic named like "merged.tiff". (The file name
on the disk will be good).  Hover your mouse over the layer in the Layer
Panel or look in the layer - properties - metadata - properties - Source
for this layer, and you should find the complete path.

I normally reload the file so that the file name and layer name match.
If you are using the Merge from the raster - misc - merge tool, make
sure you click on the "Select" button so that you can save it in the
right place.  If you just put the Output file name, I think the file is
save in the last used directory but I am not sure.  If you still have
problems, look at the gdal script
in the box.  That should also give you full path of the output file.
Ultimately, you can cut and paste this script into the OSGeo command
prompt and by-pass Qgis completely.  BTW, there is a limit to the number
of files you can merge together.  If you have more that a hundred files
to merge, I would make a virtual file than save that using gdal translate.

Hope this helps.

Nicolas
(Newfoundlander by heart!)

Cheers!

FWI, I have a Google + community called QGIS Canada.  There is not much
going on there now but I would like to eventually use it for Canadian
users looking for tip and data pertaining to Canadian data sets,
research questions and problems. Please make it known to your students.
The Qgis mail list, remains the best option for your current question.