[Qgis-user] QGIS big fail in deleting Shapes!!

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Tue Jan 19 12:44:57 PST 2016

Hi,
Generally speaking, if you save yours edits regularly, you should not have problems. You should also save multiple version of the same files with varying naming conventions as good practice.
Remember that closing or saving a project will not save your edits.  You must specifically save the layers before exiting.  I believe there is not a warning  when you exit a project.
If you have found a bug report explaining the problem, I suggest you read it completely.  If the problem is different or not resolved, place a new bug report and do a follow up as they may need more information.  If you don't help, some issues may not be fixed because the problem cannot be reproduced.
Some issues do take time to resolve as QGIS does not evolve alone in the world.  QGIS works because it relies on other project like GDAL.  So even if you find a problem in QGIS, the problem may not be QGIS issue.  In that case, you will be redirected to the other projects to fill the bug report.
To my knowledge, there is no black list of things not to do.  You can use version 2.8 (long term release) instead of the latest version 2.12.3 with cutting edge features.
Speaking of black lists, I have never see such a list ( or even a  full public bug report list) for AutoCad, MapInfo, Clark lab, ArcMap or Microsoft Word.  The reason is simple, they are secret and would show the true amount if bugs these software have.  I prefer to work in an environment where this knowledge is public.
If the problem persists, try other software like Grass, udig or Saga to do the edits and you will be happy to know that you haven't paid 5000$ for those softwares either!
Cheers!
Nicolas Cadieux M.Sc.
On Jan 19, 2016 1:59 PM, "Uwe Fischer [via OSGeo.org]" <ml-node+s1560n5246151h42 at n6.nabble.com> wrote: Hello all,   today I was working on a shape dataset and I had to delete some features. Later I opened the shapefile in ArcMap by chance and I found that the features were not deleted. They still did exist. I repeated the process – and got the same result. Then, searching the internet, I found this incredible post: https://hub.qgis.org/issues/11007   It is a well known problem (for 1,5 years!!) that QGIS is not able to delete shapes in a reliable way!! I was horrified to read this because it is the same as if a Word processor would not be able to delete a letter from a text. I cannot understand why the QGIS developers haven’t fix that yet. If QGIS really wants to compete with ArcMap, they should fix it as soon as possible. At least, the according menu entries or buttons should be inactivated if they don’t bring out reliable results.   My questions are: ·         is this information still up to date? I can‘t read all of the 80 answers to the post now to get in-depth information ... ·         does anybody have information about how they are planning to handle this problem at the development team? ·         is there a workaround for this? Do the GRASS vector tools bring out reliable results? ·         are there more of those software errors in QGIS that might lead to huge problems in working on vector data and sharing them with others? If so, is there a „black list“ of things one is never allowed to use in QGIS if you don’t want to destroy your datasets?     Regards, Uwe Fischer _______________________________________________
Qgis-user mailing list
[hidden email]
List info: http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user Unsubscribe: http://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/qgis-user

		http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-big-fail-in-deleting-Shapes-tp5246151.html

		To start a new topic under Quantum GIS - User, email ml-node+s1560n4125267h38@n6.nabble.com
		To unsubscribe from Quantum GIS - User, click here .
		NAML