[Qgis-user] QGIS big fail in deleting Shapes!!

Uwe Fischer gisfisch at t-online.de
Tue Jan 19 11:09:47 PST 2016

Hello all,

today I was working on a shape dataset and I had to delete some features.
Later I opened the shapefile in ArcMap by chance and I found that the
features were not deleted. They still did exist. I repeated the process -
and got the same result. Then, searching the internet, I found this
incredible post: https://hub.qgis.org/issues/11007

It is a well known problem (for 1,5 years!!) that QGIS is not able to delete
shapes in a reliable way!! I was horrified to read this because it is the
same as if a Word processor would not be able to delete a letter from a
text. I cannot understand why the QGIS developers haven't fix that yet. If
QGIS really wants to compete with ArcMap, they should fix it as soon as
possible. At least, the according menu entries or buttons should be
inactivated if they don't bring out reliable results.

My questions are:

*         is this information still up to date? I can't read all of the 80
answers to the post now to get in-depth information ...

*         does anybody have information about how they are planning to
handle this problem at the development team?

*         is there a workaround for this? Do the GRASS vector tools bring
out reliable results?

*         are there more of those software errors in QGIS that might lead to
huge problems in working on vector data and sharing them with others? If so,
is there a "black list" of things one is never allowed to use in QGIS if you
don't want to destroy your datasets?

Regards,

Uwe Fischer