[Qgis-user] Debian users: please confirm bug around SVG symbol previews

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Thu Jul 7 14:59:51 PDT 2016

On 07/07/2016 10:55 PM, Nyall Dawson wrote:

> On 7 Jul 2016 11:44 PM, "Neumann, Andreas" <a.neumann at carto.net
> <mailto:a.neumann at carto.net>> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > Thanks - it behaves exactly the same on Ubuntu.
> >
> > I am inclined to close this bug http://hub.qgis.org/issues/14255 if
> Paolo is the only one experiencing this issue. Seems like a local
> issue with his directory structure.
>
> I can help clarify the situation a bit:
>
> - In 2.14 a bug was introduced which automatically added user's home
> folders to the svg paths. That's fixed now, but users may still have
> that path included.
>
> - there's a valid bug regarding endless loops with symlinks, that
> should be fixed
>
> - but mostly, I think the svg loading needs to be moved to a non
> blocking background thread. So please keep the report open until this
> is addressed.

That sounds all good.

I think the main reason the topic was brought up was that it's one of
the few blockers which are still open.

Let's split it into two issues:

 Moving to a background thread, that's probably a feature request, so we
could just downgrade that to a "hight" priority one.

 For the endless loop, we can leave that as blocker (in the end you have
to kill the app, so it's like a crash with lost unsaved work).

Matthias

> Nyall
> >
> > Andreas

> >> I'm on Debian Testing;
> >>
> >> I do not have a clean install available, but if I start qgis from
> >> commandline here with a fresh config:
> >>
> >> qgis --configpath /tmp/foo
> >>
> >> I end up with two items in the svg path:
> >>
> >> /home/richard/apps/qgis/master/debug/share/qgis/svg/
> >> /tmp/foo/svg/
> >>
> >> The first one is the svg directory of my installation (self compiled),
> >> the second is a svg directory in the configpath (which is your home dir
> >> by default I think?)
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Richard

Matthias Kuhn
OPENGIS.ch - https://www.opengis.ch
Spatial • (Q)GIS • PostGIS • Open Source