[Qgis-user] QGIS won't open Martian .img files

Adam Neather aneather at riseup.net
Fri Jul 8 05:32:55 PDT 2016

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to use QGIS to get topographic profiles from Mars Global
Surveyor data. (Example link below.) While QGIS will open the .lbl files
as a raster with no problem, I always get the error "Unsupported Data
Source: /Users/username/Desktop/megr00n180hb.img is not a supported
raster data source" when trying to open the .img. (In fact, this is only
under Windows 10; QGIS on Mac OS X refuses to open the .lbl files, too,
with the same error message.)

The .img files included with the sample data for the tutorials loads
fine, so I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong.

A colleague has suggested it may be because I need a plug-in to be able
to read NASA's Planetary Data System file format, but I can't find
anything about that in the official plug-in repository or when searching
online.

Weird thing is, I'm returning to a project from a few years ago, and we
used QGIS back then to work with this data set, so I'm as confused as
it's possible to get!

Any help greatly appreciated,

http://pds-geosciences.wustl.edu/mgs/mgs-m-mola-5-megdr-l3-v1/mgsl_300x/meg004/

--