[Qgis-user] v.generalize in GRASS toolbox stalls out

Cene Ketcham ceneketcham at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 10:14:36 PDT 2016

Hi,

For the past week or so I have been trying to run the Chaiken smoothing
algorithm in v.generalize on a large shapefile, but haven't been able to
get it to actually complete. The closest I've gotten is 83%. I was
wondering if anyone has tips on getting the function to complete or an
alternate way to achieve the same result.

Details:

The shapefile in question is a vectorized version of a landcover raster
with ~558K features. As a converted raster, it has awful-looking stairstep
boundaries between the polygons that I'd like to smooth. This file is for a
large (~8'x8') wall map, so the raster-y borders are painfully obvious.
Preservation of area is not essential, as the desired output is for display
only, but it does need to maintain topological correctness. Therefore,
v.generalize seems like a natural solution.

I just have a standard Windows workstation - not super powerful, but no
pushover either (Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win 7).

I have tried in both QGIS 2.14.0 and 2.16.0 with the same result: the
progress bar stops updating and QGIS stops responding. Any ideas?

Best,
Cene Ketcham