[Qgis-user] Backing up GIS Data

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Mon Jul 18 03:22:06 PDT 2016

On top of the excellent suggestions that have come out of this thread, it's worth stating that a backup is worthless if it is untested.

You should regularly test backups to ensure you can restore from them; this applies to all backups. There are plenty of horror stories out there from organisations/people that kept "backups" they never tested, and when they needed them they were corrupt or otherwise not what they should have been.
So be sure test your backups! :-)

Cheers,
Jonathan

---- On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 07:54:56 +0100 Bo Victor Thomsen <bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com> wrote ----

  I haven't any extensive experience with moving databases from windows to linux or vice versa, but I've been moving (backup/restore) databases between windows hundred of times.

  I'm normally using the "Custom/binary" format, because it's the fastest method to do the backup/restore cycle.
 When I'm creating/ structuring a new spatial database, I always leave the "public" schema alone and put data in another schema created for that purpose.
 When doing a backup for the purpose of moving a database, I only backup the aforementioned *data* schema, *not* the "public" schema, thus avoiding taking backup of hundreds of PostGIS functions residing in schema "public". This makes it easier to move spatial data from one PostGIS-enabled database to another without annoying errors.
 And - just as you - I use the "plain" format when it's necessary to make some changes to the structure or fields  with a text editor during the move of the database.

  Regards

 Bo Victor Thomsen
 AestasGIS
 Denmark