[Qgis-user] Value relation option in QGIS

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Jul 18 04:39:47 PDT 2016

Hi Chris,

There is the "Value Map" alternative, which loads the value and
descriptions from an existing layer and you can remove that value layer
afterwards. The drawback is that it isn't a "live link". So if you
change your value table you have to manually resync the data. The values
and descriptions are then stored in the project and exported/loaded with
the style.

There is a project just about to be started that more intelligently
loads data from PostgreSQL (project generator). But this won't be
available until 2017. Meanwhile, if your data is in PostgreSQL, you can
also use the "Data driven input mask" plugin from Bernhard Ströbl -
which does exactly that, but from a Python plugin.

Greetings,

Andreas