[Qgis-user] desperately needing help on QGIS server

Kuan Song songkuan at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 02:22:39 PDT 2016

Dear QGIS community,
I hope to seek your help on how to deploy the QGIS Server on a ubuntu vmware instance.The QGIS server official guide is what I followed. It does not work!!!http://hub.qgis.org/wiki/quantum-gis/QGIS_Server_Tutorial
1. After I typed in firefox: http://localhost/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.3.0&REQUEST=GetCapabilities
this is what I got:
Not Found

The requested URL /cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi was not found on this server.
Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at localhost Port 80
2. I made a QGIS project file with 1 shapefile in it, and put the project file and shapefile in /usr/lib/cgi-bin, as demonstrated in QGIS Server on Ubuntu Step-by-step

|   |    |

|   |
QGIS Server on Ubuntu Step-by-step
 This post summarizes my notes about installing QGIS Server on Ubuntu, adding a QGIS project file to the server a...  |   |

then I typed in firefox:
http://localhost/cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi
 I still got this response:
Not Found

The requested URL /cgi-bin/qgis_mapserv.fcgi was not found on this server.
Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at localhost Port 80

I do not understand what went wrong or where can I get the right advice, as the QGIS server documentation is highly rare, and frankly dubious.
I really love the stated feature of QGIS server: just place a QGIS project on a server, and users can see the contents with any web browser. Could someone in the community help me achieve this?
And to the QGIS developers: please consider writing your documentation with more details and pictures. And it'll be much more helpful to include an executable readme/setup program in the QGIS server distribution, so that us users can have some clue. Thank you!