[Qgis-user] downloading a wms geoservice from QGis

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Nov 7 13:15:37 PST 2016

Hi Juliana,

First, I would investigate with Carto, if you really cannot embed a WMS.
It would be much better to use the webservice directly rather than
downloading and uploading and then end up with an outdated image.

If that does not work, you need to set a meaningful resolution. As we
can see in your screenshot the resolution text input fields are empty.
Also check if the projection is correct. Do you really want to save in
EPSG:4326 or rather in a meter based system?

What kind of data are you saving? Orthoimages or maps with few colors or
black and white? If it is orthoimages, I would use JPEG compression in
the Geotiff, otherwise probably deflate/LZW.

Then you have to find a meaningful resolution. If you really want to
save in EPSG:4326, you have to specify a resolution in decimal degrees.
Try with larger values first, such as 0.05 and then, if it is too coarse
go to smaller values.

About polygonizing raster to vector: this really depends on the content
- and I kind of doubt it if you really get meaningful results. Maybe it
works with few colors and homogeneous areas. It certainly would not work
well for aerial images.

Hope it helps,
Andreas