[Qgis-user] Details about conversion DWG to SHP format.

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Mon Oct 10 04:53:11 PDT 2016

Hi,

Jürgen Fischer is currently working on a CAD import (DXF and DWG) to
QGIS. It will be released a bit after QGIS 2.18, later this year. It
will be a direct loading of DXF/DWG into QGIS and will try to map
graphical properties to QGIS symbology and labeling as good as possible.

Another option is to use the result of this year's GSOC project:
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DWG_driver - but note that this pretty
new and you probably have an older GDAL/OGR on your system which does
not provide this functionality.

If you need something immediately and can't wait, the route your
describe using the dxf2shp plugin or using the old OGR DXF reader are
the only other ways - unless you have some other converter (e.g. FME).
Note that in this case you will probably loose the symbology and
labeling. You would have to redefine the symbology using OGR feature
style attributes.

Currenty, there is unfortunately not yet a user-friendly way available
to load CAD data in QGIS.

Greetings,

Andreas