[Qgis-user] inconsistenty when calculating area depending on file type or projection?

Andrew amcaninch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 08:49:28 PDT 2016

Nyall,

in 2.14.6 I get incorrect areas in a layer with CRS 3857 but not with a
layer CRS 26910(UTM 10N).

With the UTM layer I get different areas with OTR on and off, but the
difference is small and I assume it is just due to the different ellipsoids.

When calculating area in the field calculator with a layer whose CRS is
3857 I get the correct area in these cases: 1) OTR is turned off or
2)ellipsiod is set to None/planimetric.

If the default ellipsoid for the project CRS is kept I get incorrect area
values with 2 different project CRS': 3857 and 26910(UTM 10N).

the difference in values is large and variable, for instance:
correct vs incorrect
20243 sqm vs 612695 sqm
1333 sqm vs 721 sqm

Andrew