[Qgis-user] degrees: is degr/min/sec still used? Or decimal preferable?

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Mon Apr 10 06:34:23 PDT 2017

Hi,

Other people have given you good mathematical /computational answers.  Between decimal degrees (dd) and d/m/s, i find that dd is easier to handle.  However the choice of using a degrees or a national CRS in meter or feet is not just limited to the x and y coordinate format. If you are positioning only 2D point data, I expect you can get away with it but if you have angles, distances, heights,  areas or volume to measure, then there are other parameters to take into account in the CRS.  X,y formats are then just one parameter in a much more complexe CRS picture (like the geiod).  The ultimate goal of all these CRS is to reduce distortion for a particular type of measurement over a particular part of the world.   Therefore, depending on the problem, a CRS in degrees is sometimes called for, and a sometimes not.

Nicolas