[Qgis-user] Button order on Add Data dialogues

McDonaldR McDonaldR at angus.gov.uk
Wed Dec 20 05:06:17 PST 2017

Thanks Alessandro

Ticket created https://issues.qgis.org/issues/17728

Ross

From: Alessandro Pasotti [mailto:apasotti at gmail.com]
Sent: 20 December 2017 12:08
To: McDonaldR
Cc: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Button order on Add Data dialogues

Hi,
in QGIS 3 the source select dialogs have been deeply refactored and they now use a base class for a better consistency among different providers.
Buttons [Close, Add] should be the same in all dialogs, some specific providers may add other buttons.
There has been a lot of discussion about the buttons: initial implementation had [Add, Ok, Close] where Add=Apply, Ok=Apply+Close and Close=Cancel (it was just closing the dialog).
Now we agreed on dropping the 'Ok' and leave [Close, Add, Help].
Now about the order, that should be controlled by Qt and it should be platform-dependent following the O.S. guidelines: see http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qdialogbuttonbox.html and, for windows, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb246415(v=vs.85).aspx
That said, there is probably room for improvement by moving the [Close, Add] buttons from the class to the UI file so that the Qt ordering is honored (I suspect that by adding those buttons in the class instead of in the UI it is not).

So, yes, please file a ticket and assign it to me so I don't forget to look at that.