[Qgis-user] Github Desktop - help request

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 08:31:38 PST 2017

Hi Nic,

The qgis-developer list sounds a more responsive channel for this kind of
request.

In the meantime, I see two ways to do what you want. In both cases, I think
you could need to read https://guides.github.com/activities/hello-world/
for the vocabulary

* use github web interface: the easiest imho (I used it for months)
   - go to the file you want to change in the master branch of qgis/QGIS
repository
   - Put it into edit state
   - modify the file.
   - Propose your file changes with a clear and descriptive message -->
QGIS will create a new branch in your repo (sthg like
yourname/QGIS/patch-1) and propose you to create a pull request. If it's
the only change you have to do, you can create a pull request (ensure it's
against the qgis/master branch and not your master branch). Your work can
then be reviewed by the community.
   - If you have other files to modify, browse your above
yourname/QGIS/tree/patch-1 branch to the files you are looking for. And as
above, commit your changes
   - If all needed files are modified, you can create a new PR from
http://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pulls

* use a git-based software to be able to push your changes from local to
online branch and manage your repository. https://git-scm.com/downloads
It can be a GUI based or a command lines tool, depending on your OS. Some
links for command line :
https://services.github.com/on-demand/downloads/github-git-cheat-sheet.pdf

Thanks for offering your fix.

Harrissou