[Qgis-user] How to read dmp files?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Thu Jul 6 00:39:20 PDT 2017

On 05-07-17 23:51, magerlin wrote:
> I frequently experience QGIS crashing and notifying me "Minidump written to:
> xxxxx.dmp".
>
> I suppose I get this information because xxxx.dmp could hold some useful
> information.
>
> I have tried Googling but cannot find a tool to read the .dmp files from
> Qgis.
>
> Are they in the same format as the Windows dmp files created when Windows is
> crashing and thus readable by dumpchk.exe which should be part of some
> larger debugging kit downloadable from Microsoft?
>
> I am running Win 7 64 bit.

Hi Morten,

>From devs I understand that QGIS3 will not create those anymore but show
a stacktrace somewhere (if possible that is if compiled in debug mode).

>From http://www.wikihow.com/Read-Dump-Files I see that is not something
done very easy by non devs.

And I I recall a talk with Juergen, you need one of the nightlies to
have the recent debug symbols available (or so.... :~ )

IF you can isolate you problem to a small dataset a good guideline and
tested on latest 2.18 development version, maybe others can more easily
try to reproduce it in there development environment.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde