[Qgis-user] Principal Component Analysis ?

Falk Huettmann fhuettmann at alaska.edu
Fri Jun 23 13:13:53 PDT 2017

Hi,

thanks but nope:

CANOCO comes from the 1970s and is widely outdated by now,
and not achieving (much).
Just a few botanists (=not trained statisticians or coders) still use it,
if at all.
It usually asks the wrong questions and
uses pretty old methods that are widely improved by now,
e.g. machine learning. It all sits there instead, inference from
predictions. Many publications on that matter.
Sorry (any programmer knows it that machine learning performs 'very high').
Like with LMs, GLMs and AIC, p-values or Bayesian stuff, CANOCO does not
generalize nor predict so well.

R is free, a hodgepodge of sorts, and thus, the cutting edge stuff does NOT
all sit in R (high quality swords have a price, sorry).
It's reality. Google etc are not programmed in R or with R for good reasons.
Perhaps a certain blend is helpful, agreed, but hardly anything else.
R packages also tend to suffer from poor conceptual reviews, e.g. what for
and why ?

Again,
please be aware about such things.
Just because it's statistics, coded by your good buddy, freeware, R (or
QGIS), it's not all
automatically good; often the opposite is the case.

It's a fact and the crux you deal with here.
A so-called hijacking by some coders and their mindsets; we saw it many
times before,
and it's self-serving.
CANOCO is a great example for that.

Kind regards