[Qgis-user] Raster dynamic clipping mask

Olivier Dalang olivier.dalang at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 09:26:23 PDT 2017

Dear List,

I was wondering whether there is an easy solution to have dynamic clipping
masks for rasters, just like vector masks in Photoshop (or similar
software) ?

For now, I was using a layer with the inverted polygon renderer to hide
with a white layer everything that is outside of the polygon. This works
great, but then it's not possible to show anything behind the raster.

I know it's easy to statically clip a raster, but this is not usable when
working with some rasters types (eg. xyz tiles). Also it's not optimal, as
the hidden area is still rendered. And it requires to write a copy of the
layer, which can be slow and/or use a lot of disk space.

Thanks !!

Olivier