[Qgis-user] QGOS maps fort Garmin GPS

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Sat Mar 4 19:10:54 PST 2017

Stephan,

   I'd recommend having another, closer look at the OSM project. It was
created by by people just like you wanting a better base map.  People
all over world contribute either by digitizing features using Bing
imagery on the OSM website, or by uploading their own GPS tracks.
Various services then take OSM data and render beautiful basemap tiles,
etc.  so everyone can benefit.

   While their strategy worked very well in England (its birthplace) and
other areas with a high population density, places like Canada have
struggled.  The Canadian federal government adjusted its license to
allow bulk uploading of the 1:50K basemap data.  But as you've pointed
out, while it is better than nothing, it can be very out of date (a lot
of maps haven't been updated since the 1980's).  Don't get discouraged
though; look at it as an opportunity to contribute.  I've added trails
from my Saskatchewan home town (along with street names, building names,
etc), and paths in parks in Calgary.  I get quite a feeling of
satisfaction in seeing them instantly appearing in the OpenStreetMap
mapping tiles.

   Many of the provinces have taken over base mapping from the Feds.  I
see that BC has made PDFs of their 1:20K mapping available at:

http://geobc.gov.bc.ca/base-mapping/imagery/topographic.html

   Ironically, while they acknowledge using OSM data in their base maps,
their own license appears to prevent their data being uploaded and used
in OSM!  Maybe they will come around to the idea of Open Data.

  What area (or map sheet) are you interested in?

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser