[Qgis-user] QGOS maps fort Garmin GPS

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Sun Mar 5 18:34:09 PST 2017

Stephen,

  Yeah I saw the other problems with surrounding creeks, but if I'm
going to replace the geometry with data from SCRD, I need to check that
their license agreement allows that.

OSM is NOT a satellite image map; it is strictly a vector database of
points, lines and polygons.  There are three ways to enter data into OSM:

     1. Upload your GPS tracks

     2. Digitize features using Bing imagery as a backdrop (this may be
where the confusion comes from)

     3. Do "bulk uploads" of license-compatible data (e.g. shapefiles of
Canvec 1:50k Fed data)

OSM is a collection of the best available, license-compatible data.
Bulk uploads are usually frowned upon, due to the ease of overwriting
existing data, so extra care must be taken.

I'll CC the OSM-Ca list (and we should drop out of the QGIS list unless
we have QGIS-related issues)

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser