[Qgis-user] Keeping only POIs X kms from a trace?

Matt Boyd mattslists at gmail.com
Tue May 9 20:18:05 PDT 2017

Hi Winfried,
usually in QGIS, unless it's specified differently, the distance field is
in the same units as the project properties. So, 5km would be 5000m in the
the projected UTM zones which use meters.
If 0,05 worked then I assume that your project is in
degrees/minutes/seconds (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_degrees)
which is approximately 5km at the equator, close enough for what you want
to do this time.

One of the key things you'll need to know about if you keep working on GIS
stuff is projections, QGIS can automatically reproject for map displays.
However, when doing a calculation / operation that involves 2 or more
inputs then I make sure to reproject all the inputs to the same system and
work on those files only (save as and select a common projection) knowing
the UTM zone or whatever meters/feet projection is used locally is helpful
when you need to work out distances and areas in useful units.

Matt