[Qgis-user] polygonize tool gdal error

Shaw S.J. s.j.shaw at swansea.ac.uk
Tue Oct 3 04:44:31 PDT 2017

When we install QGIS 2.14 or 2.18 on our lab machines running Windows 7 using our software distribution system, everything works fine except the polygonize tool. When we install QGIS on standalone machines this tool tends to work fine in most (but not all) cases, occasionally we get the same problem. I'm struggling to find the cause of this.

To reproduce:

1) Load a raster file.
2) Raster->Conversion->polygonize. Choose the input raster and somewhere to write the output vector file and select 'DN'.

Error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "c:\Programs\QGIS\bin\gdal_polygonize.py", line 35, in
from osgeo import gdal
File "c:\Programs\QGIS\apps\Python27\lib\site-packages\osgeo\__init__.py", line 21, in
_gdal = swig_import_helper()
File "c:\Programs\QGIS\apps\Python27\lib\site-packages\osgeo\__init__.py", line 17, in swig_import_helper
_mod = imp.load_module('_gdal', fp, pathname, description)
ImportError: DLL load failed: The operating system cannot run %1.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Stephen Shaw
Systems Support Technician
College of Science