[Qgis-user] Exporting Raster layer to text file

Matt Boyd mattslists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 00:24:14 PDT 2017

Hi David,
rasters come in a few different flavours.
RGB/greyscale photographic type images such as an aerial photograph or a
georeferenced scan of a map are one. There's not a lot of point exporting
those as text.

There are also Raster images where the RGB / black bands represent a
frequency or attribute from a satellite or remote sensing instrument, you
might want to convert those to a different format to use in a different
package or just select a single band to work on.

Single band raster such as grids or DEMS are another type of raster.

The last 2 types above can be saved in alternate formats under the "convert
format" option in the raster dropdown options somewhere, can't remember the
exact name.

I usually do this with grids / single band rasters. the command line option
is gdaltranslate. "save as" doesn't work the same way it does as with
vector data.

I don't have QGIS open at the so I can't recommend a format but I think CSV
is one of them.

Good luck
Matt