[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.2.0 Layer Style issue

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Aug 2 02:00:24 PDT 2018

Hi Richard,

I meant that you can use the "No Symbols" renderer in combination with
the rule based renderer to get the features for the labels you want.

Apparently, QGIS does not label, if the features aren't retrieved for
symbology - but you can work around that by creating a rule (using scale
ranges) and combine it with the "No Symbols" renderer. By doing that,
you won't have to duplicate the layers for such situations. The "No
symbols" renderer does retrieve the features and you can label them, but
in that rule they are not drawn for symbology.

Andreas

On 2018-08-02 10:41, Richard McDonnell wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> Thanks for getting back. I need the SYMBOLS AND LABELS for zoom levels 1:2,000,000 and 1:20,001, so the NO SYMBOLS, won't do the trick for me unfortunately.
>
> I assumed that with separate rendering (Scale Ranges) that I would be able to make the switch from SYMBOLS AND LABELS to LABELS ONLY, seamlessly with a single Layer.
>
> Maybe this is something which could be implemented in future versions?
>
> I may have to just use duplicate layering, to achieve the result I want, Thanks again for getting back.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard.
>
> FROM: Andreas Neumann [mailto:a.neumann at carto.net]
> SENT: 02 August 2018 09:26
> TO: Richard McDonnell <richard.mcdonnell at opw.ie>
> CC: qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org
> SUBJECT: Re: [Qgis-user] QGIS 3.2.0 Layer Style issue
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> Have you tried setting the "No symbols" renderer in the symbology? Such features should still be available for labels, but aren't drawn.
>
> Andreas
>
> On 2018-08-01 15:58, Richard McDonnell wrote:
>
>> Afternoon all,
>>
>> I have ran into a little issue in styling on QGIS 3.2.1.
>>
>> I have a line style ceated for a road network, what I want it to do is display the Lines and Labels between, say, 1:2,000,000 and 1:20,001 and from 1:20000 to 1:500 just the Labels.
>>
>> I have used Rule based styling to create a style, with separate overlapping Scale Ranges, which works perfectly for 1:2,000,000 to 1:20,001, but once the Lines (Symbology) disappear, so do the Labels.
>>
>> If I reset the Scale range on the Symbology (Have no restrictions, the Labels work as required, all the way to 1:500.
>>
>> It seems that even though I have separate scale ranges set for both the symbology and the labels, once the symbols switch off so does the labels.
>>
>> Is there a way for me to do what I want without having to duplicating the network layer, so as I have a separate Symbols layer and Label Layer.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard.
>>
>> [1]