[Qgis-user] looking for mapping program

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Wed Aug 29 18:12:48 PDT 2018

I do some consulting work for another forestry company - maybe I can add
more info to the good info you've gotten.

  * I doubt that QGIS will be able to pull in your Xmap projects. If you
    can export your data as txt files you can pull that info into QGIS.
  * The group I work with was using DNR GPS to push and pull data from
    their GPS Units. With the newer Garmin units you can copy a GPX file
    to the unit (like a USB drive). I replaced DNR GPS with QGIS (we
    just create a GPX file and copy it).
  * We generate all the Plots and digitize the stand information using
    QGIS - when I started working with them, they were a arcivew shop.
    QGIS would do everything and more than Arcview. Plus it saved them
    licensing costs over the long haul.
  * I ended up adding PostGIS into the mix - but that's a longer story
    for another time.

It's doable - it will be a learning curve (and some head scratching) but
you'll be pretty happy with QGIS I think.

Randy

rjhale at northrivergeographic.com

https://www.northrivergeographic.com