[Qgis-user] looking for mapping program

Stefan Giese (WhereGroup) stefan.giese at wheregroup.com
Wed Aug 29 23:03:14 PDT 2018

Hi Diane,
some thoughts to your question: QGIS would be a very good choice (or the
best!) and will be a substainable GIS for your company. You are writing
that there is only a txt export option? A quick view on the user guide
(http://static.garmin.com/pumac/XMap7Manual.pdf) shows, that xmap works
(can work) with databases and has a bulk export option, at least it can
export kml. So first, the migration process will depend on how your data
infrastrucure is organized. In general a migration process from one GIS
into an other can be a lot of work. as many GIS systems xmap distinguish
between projects (how your data is organized and displayed in the map)
and the spatial data itself. I suppose the export of the projects will
not be possible, whereas the data should not be that problem. May be it
will be worth to use the help from a GIS professional to manage the
migration process. This depends on your workflows and as described
before from the infrastructure of your data.

best regards
stefan

---
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Stefan Giese
Projektleiter/Consultant
FOSS Academy Sommerschule 2018
Alles Wichtige zur Erstellung einer GDI in nur 5 Tagen erlernen!
https://www.foss-academy.com/kompaktkurse
WhereGroup GmbH & Co. KG
Schwimmbadstr. 2
79100 Freiburg