[Qgis-user] QGIS Mapserver - Project administration and updates, documentation

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Jan 5 00:43:41 PST 2018

On 05-01-18 09:35, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 9:27 AM, Albin Blaschka
> <albin.blaschka at standortsanalyse.net
> <mailto:albin.blaschka at standortsanalyse.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     Following an update on my Linux-Server (Ubuntu), where I have an
>     instance of qgis mapserver running, I stumbled upon a small gotcha -
>     it stopped working.
>
>     The reason was simple: The binary of qgis_mapserv.fcgi got updated,
>     but when I set up qgis mapserver, I followed the suggestion as
>     described under
>
>     https://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_ogc/server/getting_started.html#installation
>     <https://docs.qgis.org/2.18/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_ogc/server/getting_started.html#installation>
>
>     under the heading "Server the project" to put a project into a
>     separate directory with the .qgs file and a *Copy* of qgis_mapserv.fcgi
>

> I think that spreading copies of the CGI binary on your directory tree
> is bad practice and calls for troubles, a symlink works surely better
> but there are many other ways to serve a particular project depending on
> the URL (any rewrite module for your favourite server would be sufficient ).
>
> Would you mind making a pull request and fix the documentation?

Yes, please do:

- create a github account if you net have one
- go to latest version of the page:
https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/working_with_ogc/server/getting_started.html#installation
- click the 'fix me' link in the footer which brings you to
-
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/edit/master/source/docs/user_manual/working_with_ogc/server/getting_started.rst
- you will be asked to create a fork, do that, update the docs (just
using Github editor...), and do a pull request
- if all fails, then please create an issue with a pointer to this
discussion: https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/issues

For all other people: PLEASE try to help QGIS to get uptodate docs by at
least try to write/update some docs every now and then. I think the plan
above is doable for every tech savvy QGIS user...
And again: if all fails: write an issue, and preferably attach a new
text to it.

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde