[Qgis-user] Issue with joining attributes by location

Berg, Neil nberg at ioes.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 31 20:42:58 PST 2018

Hi all,

I’m working with (1) a CSV file containing columns of “lat” and “lon” which represent grid cell centroids from a gridded model product over California (“loca_lat_lon.csv”), and (2) a shape file that carves up California into 12 distinct subregions (“CC4a_RegionsSub.shp”).

These files can be accessed here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IUrpVSJYBRIoCS4vzGYK9sBEzdwZec-c?usp=sharing

I am trying to determine which grid cells reside in each of the 12 subregions (or NA/NULL if outside all subregions) using Vector -> Data Management Tools -> Join Attributes by Location. I have specified my Target vector layer as loca_lat_lon.csv, the Join vector layer as CC4a_RegionsSub.shp, the Geometric predicate as “intersects”, and am taking attributes of the first located feature, and only keeping matching records.

The issue is that the returned joined layer assigns just 1 of the 12 subregions, “Sierra Nevada Mountains”, to all grid cells, rather than different subregions (or None) to the cells.

The shape file has a CRS of NAD83/California Albers and the coordinates in the CSV file are simply WGS 84. I’ve tried resetting the latter CRS to NAD83/California Albers, but the same issue persists.

I’m using QGIS 2.18.14.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Neil