[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.2 installer doesn't find Python 3.6 on Mac?

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Mon Jul 9 09:45:49 PDT 2018

Hi,

I have (finally) upgraded my MacOS to 10.13.5, and am reinstalling/updating various apps, including QGIS.

When I try to install QGIS (step 3 on the QGIS dmg, after having done steps 1 and 2 in order), I get the message
   "QGIS requires Python 3.6"

Apparently, the QGIS installer isn't finding the newly installed Python 3.7.
Strikes me as a path problem. I'd appreciate help solving it.

Thanks!
-Don

More detail:

I downloaded
   QGIS-macOS-3.2.0-1.dmg
from the QGIS website, and followed its instructions in order, including
  1. install Python 3
  2. Install GDAL complete

I first installed Python from
   python-3.7.0-macosx10.9.pkg
which I found following the links in the step 1 readme.
I ran the
   "Update Shell Profile.command"
script provided with Python3.
I then installed GDAL complete.

After having done all that:

In Terminal.app, I get

[8]% which python3
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.7/bin/python3

[9]% which python
/usr/bin/python
[10]% python --version
Python 2.7.10

I have tried logging out and logging in, and even restarting. Didn't help.

--
Don MacQueen
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory