[Qgis-user] QGIS 3 installation on Ubuntu

Mats Elfström mats.elfstrom at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 04:21:42 PDT 2018

Hi all!

I am in need of some advice, because I am venturing into unknown territory.
I want to explore the Linux side of QGIS, and I want to set up a Linux GIS
machine (Cloud based). Bear with me, because my computing skills are in
Microsoft territory. However, they date back from DOS days so I would say I
am sufficiently computer literate.

I have selected Ubuntu as platform, since I have some experience from that.
Which version matters less, I have several to choose from on my Cloud
provider.

In the process, I am trying to piece together instructions and tips from
different sources, of which the most reliable seems to be the ones at the
qgis.org site. However, there are some puzzling obstacles. I have tried
using QGIS 3.2 Bonn, and Ubuntu 18.04 bionic btw.

1/ For Ubuntu, I am adviced to load Debian repositories. There seems to be
no Ubuntu folders. Are Ubuntu and Debian equal in this respect?

2/ The installer is unable to find ”deb-src https://qgis.org/debian bionic
main”, while ”deb https://qgis.org/debian bionic main” worked fine. I
carried on neverteless, but it seemed to give an incomplete installation.

3/ The instructions give the advice: ”In case you would like to install
QGIS Server (note that it’s not a common practice to install both client
and server applications on the same machine)…”

Why is that? To me it would be common sense to install QGIS desktop and
server on the same machine, to make sure that published map designs share
the same paths and database connections. How else to ensure this? I have
Windows servers with QGIS 2 desktop and server residing on the same machine
with no problem.

Furthermore, I plan to install Postgresql/Postgis on the same machine as
well, for the same reason as above. Is that unsuitable too?

Thankful for any advice, or links to a reliable installation manual. Note
that i have scrapped the Cloud machines so far, so I cannot go back and
test stuff. I always find it more reassuring to follow a straight path to
success rather than going back for repairs at this stage.

Regards, Mats.E

Mats Elfström, Väpplingvägen 21, SE-227 38 LUND, Sweden
tel: +46 46 145959 / mob: +46 70 595 39 35
alt e-mail: mats.elfstrom at giskraft.com <mats.elfstrom at telia.com>