[Qgis-user] QGIS 3 installation on Ubuntu

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 05:00:09 PDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Mats Elfström <mats.elfstrom at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all!
>

> 3/ The instructions give the advice: ”In case you would like to install
> QGIS Server (note that it’s not a common practice to install both client
> and server applications on the same machine)…”
>
> Why is that? To me it would be common sense to install QGIS desktop and
> server on the same machine, to make sure that published map designs share
> the same paths and database connections. How else to ensure this? I have
> Windows servers with QGIS 2 desktop and server residing on the same machine
> with no problem.

There is no technical reason for not installing QGIS desktop component
component on a server.

That note was added because that scenario is rather uncommon: usually a
server machine is a dedicated hardware that sits in a server farm without
any human operator directly working on it like on a common desktop PC.

Furthermore, a server machine is usually exposed to the internet and it  is
typically strictly checked/hardened for security.

There are several ways to share data (DB connections) between your
developing machine and the server (FTP, firewall port mapping, ssh mounts,
other network shares).

So, it is generally not recommended to mix client and server software on
the same machine and the note was added to make sure we are not
supporting/encouraging that practice.

That said, I have exactly 1 customer that does exactly that and lives happy.

Note that I've never seen a QGIS server installation on a server running an
OS different than Linux, I can only talk about Linux servers.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it