[Qgis-user] Unable to load project

DelazJ delazj at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 05:05:52 PDT 2018

Hi,
Let me also try to answer some of the questions

> Hello Responders,
>
> Thanks very much for your suggestions and comments.  Very helpful.
>
> I must say though that the last few comments have again underscored my
> nervousness about changing anything that isn't completely broken.
>
> Firstly, why are there two installation processes and what is the purpose
> of each?  This implies making a choice after learning about the benefits
> and disadvantages of each.  What are the criteria for choosing one over the
> other?  How long is the process of understanding the options?
>
> There are different installation processes because there are different GIS
users, with different needs:
- the standalone installer provides the version of QGIS you want with its
dependency. So it should be enough.
- QGIS being part of a large ecosystem of tools, it can be extended with
other software/libraries. The osgeo4w installer is a kind of open and free
market for those libraries, avoiding you browse the Internet to separately
download each package. So other than installing QGIS, you can install some
other softwares, either to couple with QGIS or just run them alongside. Not
all of us need that but some do.

You can install different versions of the standalone installer, placing
each QGIS version under something like C:\Program Files\QGIS 2.10 and
C:\Program Files\QGIS 2.18 (sorry if the paths are not correct because I do
not check with an install beforehand, but I guess you get the idea - each
version has its folder). They'll work smoothly in parallel in my
experience. Given that those are 2.x releases, they share some items such
as your plugin folder. This is neither a big issue. The only downside I can
see is if you update a plugin that is no longer compatible with the elder
version but it's neither unsolvable.

To avoid you downloading each standalone installer and go through each
install process, here comes the handy osgeo4w: it allows you to again
easily pick those versions in one place (actually provides only most recent
versions) and places the installation folders under dedicated sub folders
in C:\osgeo4w\...\... folder. One installer and folder to rule them all.
(btw the issue with plugins is the same here)

Secondly, there seems to be no great consensus over the possibility (or
> not) of conflicts between simultaneous installations.  Again, this makes me
> nervous.
>
> Sorry to read that. As said I'm not aware of issues related to
simultaneous installations so I'd be interested in feedback on the possible
conflicts that were evocated: what kind of issues are they? Some examples?

Thirdly, why are some operators running two or three simultaneous
> installations?  Does this mean that the latest version is not adequate for
> some tasks?
>
> Like any software QGIS can have bugs. Because of its 4-months release
rythm and to ensure that users and corporate users have the best experience
with QGIS, they opted to release LTR, that is a version maintained at least
one year. So the longer, the stabler given that each months a new update
with bug fixes is released. This is great for most of the users.
The counterparty of this is that there's no new features added, so you can
not use that amazing new feature (eg 3D, new algorithm, multi canvas
display, integrated help button, new layout...) you read about few days
ago. Damn!! Ooh.. Actually you can: just need to install next to your
current release the one you read about.

But it's not only about using new released features. It's also about
testing bug fixes  or new features before they land in a published version.
For example, QGIS 3.2 should be released in a couple of weeks and is
currently in its bug hunting process. There's then a need for users to run
the dev version to check whether the new feature works as expected, does
not break any other function that would have worked either in the LTR or
the current release (hence 3 versions n my case for example).

I'm not sure I read anything about Windows 7 not being supported by QGIS
but fact is that your QGIS version is too old and for the issues you could
encounter, there won't be fixes to them but there's a risk that even people
don't remember how to help you as things have changed a lot meanwhile.
Depending on the usage you have, you'll at some point need to upgrade and,
if I may, don't migrate to 3.0 from your 2.10. Risky imho, the internals
have changed a lot. Better target 2.18 as end version (it'll be maintained
until january 2019 according to
https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/roadmap.html#release-schedule
which does not mean you should stop using it at that time ). I'd also
advise you to backup your project files before opening any in a recent
version as older QGIS versions can't reliably read files saved. But all
this paragraph requires you to be confident on the upgrade beforehand... ;)

Hope that I'd helped to clarify some of your concerns and brought you back
on the zen and optimistic road,

Regards,
Harrissou

All these things give me pause and discourage me from wading in to