[Qgis-user] Geopackage writer slowness with GDAL != 2.1.x

Norwin Roosen gis at nroo.de
Mon Jun 18 09:18:36 PDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I have a serious performance issue when writing GeoPackage Layers on
systems running QGIS 2.18 with GDAL 2.2.3 and 1.11.3 (both Ubuntu 16
with ubuntugis enabled, Windows 7 & 10 with QGIS LTR installation):

Writing a vector layer with ~45000 Features to a (new) Geopackage
takes a few minutes instead of the usual 5 seconds, e.g. when applying
"Buffer Geometries" to the layer.

We are required to use Geopackage (Shapefile 10-character fieldname
limitation strikes again), but we cannot work with this performance..

I have one system running QGIS 2.18.16 with GDAL 2.1.4 (Fedora 27),
where the performance is as expected (on par with Shapefile writer).

It is not 100% clear yet if the GDAL version is responsible for the
issue, but it's is the only relevant difference I could make out between
the systems.

Is this a known issue?

How could I verify that GDAL is responsible?

Is it possible to swap out GDAL used by QGIS (esp. on Windows)?

Thanks for any hints!

Best, Norwin Roosen