[Qgis-user] qgis 3.2 attribute table thousand separator

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 05:36:31 PDT 2018

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 2:11 PM, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> On 06/29/2018 07:01 AM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 12:28 PM, Tobias Wendorff <
> tobias.wendorff at tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
>
>> Am Fr, 29.06.2018, 12:20 schrieb Alessandro Pasotti:
>> > No: not yet, for now you need to change your operating system
>> > settings but nothing prevents us to implement this as an override
>> > in the QGIS options locale section.
>>
>> I've give an +1.0000E+12 on this :D

>> > This is how numbers are supposed to look in your (german?) locale.
>>
>> Exactly, f.e. locale for money "1.000.000,00 Euro"
>>

> I looked into this: the problem is that you can customize the group
> separator (thousands) and/or omit it completely but you cannot customize
> the decimal point without changing the whole locale (the locale also
> defines currency and other settings that are not currently used by QGIS).
>
> So, the best solution here would probably be:
>
> - allow the user to override system locale as a whole (same widget that we
> have for the translations)
> - add an option to omit the group separator
>
> This way you could set QGIS to have the decimal point from your locale or
> from any other locale and you could set it to omit the group separator, but
> you would not be able to choose a group separator different from the locale
> you selected.
>
> How does it sound?
>

> What do you think about a radio button for Number formatting

The problem is that QLocale does not allow to only format numbers: you get
all from a locale (date, currency etc.) or none, which is not currently a
big problem because we only format dates and numbers (AFAIK), but using
QLocale::setDefault at the application level seems to me the right solution
for the long term.

>  - "According to system locale"
>  - "According to locale [combobox]"
>  - "No formatting"

I'm afraid that the last one requires changes through all the code and the
implementation of custom validators and custom widgets, so I believe it's a
no go, unless we wanted to go back to UI inconsistencies where some widgets
use system locale (scale and coordinates to cite some) and some other don't
and get back to a certain number of bugs that this implementation fixed.

I'm working on my proposed solution, let's see if that suit all needs (I
think it should: at least you should have the "old" behavior with dot and
no group separator without the old inconsistencies).

Btw, there is already a workaround: change your number formatting options
at the operating system level and QGIS will respect your choices.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it