[Qgis-user] QGIS and ESRI's ArcMAp

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Jun 29 05:53:58 PDT 2018

Hi Scott,

This is a difficult (and quite open) question.

There are things in ArcGIS that QGIS doesn't have and vice versa. And
things that are easier in one system or the other.

One difference is that in ArcGIS you often need commercial extensions,
while in QGIS you don't have to pay, but it has extensions as plugins
and processing providers (GRASS, SAGA, R, OTB, etc.) for additional tools.

I haven't used ArcGIS for a long time, so I can't give a fair
comparison. But things I like in QGIS most, is that it is really
flexible and open, and easy to extend. I also very much like the
"expression" system and the fact you can use expressions pretty much
everywhere where you can set a parameter. Also, the cartographic and
labeling functionalities and map layout options, as well as atlas and
report serial prints in QGIS are really nice. Starting from version 3,
also the processing / analysis functions should be much more stable and
user friendly. However, I heard that cartography is also a strength of
the ESRI platform.

To be honest, to get a really fair comparison between the two systems,
this would require a lot of work and still remain a bit subjective.

What aspects of GIS are you interested in? Cartography, editing, data
management, publication, analysis?

Greetings,

Andreas