[Qgis-user] QGIS and ESRI's ArcMAp

Randal Hale rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
Fri Jun 29 06:27:27 PDT 2018

Good Morning (Greetings from TN)

It's a really mixed bag as far as capabilities. I say that - I haven't
used ArcGIS now for a bit except at ones client's office. The big thing
you'll notice is it's a different workflow (not necessarily one being
more right over another). So if you try some workflow you're used to in
ArcGIS you might get a bit frustrated - but I get frustrated now with
ArcGIS because of my workflows in QGIS.

  * In general all the extensions you're used to are already included.
    So things like the spatial analyst toolset is there already.
  * Probably the 3D environment in Pro is better (but I've never opened
    pro) - but QGIS is gaining momentum.
  * I find the community here is more vibrant - you can send emails on
    Saturday at noon to the listserve and get an answer.

  * I think QGIS is more flexible - but probably 8 years ago I would
    have argued ArcGIS was. I enjoy this software more now.
  * I think the cartography tools are equal and possibly better than
    ArcGIS.
  * Everyone here is more receptive to suggestions. You can file a bug
    report and talk to a person (and not get a 9999 error).

Give it a shot and start playing with it. Do a small project. Style it
all up - make a PDF. Hopefully you'll like it -  possibly love it.

(look here -> this might help although it refers to an older version of
QGIS - it's still a great read -
https://gisunchained.wordpress.com/2016/01/28/qgis-features-i-long-for-while-using-arcgis/
)

Randy

On 06/29/2018 07:59 AM, Crosby, Scott wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> Are there tools and/or capabilities unique to QGIS that are not
> available in ArcMap? I’m currently using ArcMap 10.5.1, and recently
> installed QGIS.
>
> *Scott Crosby, C.F.*
>
> Forestry Supervisor II, Etoniah Creek State Forest
>
> Florida Forest Service
>
> Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
>
> Certified Forester #12604, Society of American Foresters
>
> Office: (386) 329-2555
>
> Fax: (386) 329-2554
>
> Scott.Crosby at freshfromflorida.com
> <mailto:Scott.Crosby at freshfromflorida.com>
>
> www.FreshFromFlorida.com <http://www.freshfromflorida.com/>
>
> Please note that Florida has a broad public records law (Chapter 119,
> Florida Statutes). Most written communications to or from state
> employees are public records obtainable  by the public upon request.
> Emails sent to me at this e-mail address may be considered public and
> will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant
> to the laws of the State of Florida.

Randal Hale
rjhale at northrivergeographic.com
https://www.northrivergeographic.com