[Qgis-user] results Measure Tool vs. length()

Michel Stuyts michel.stuyts at edegem.be
Thu May 17 05:25:51 PDT 2018

In the length() function QGIS uses the CRS unit of the layer to calculate the result. When I use for example a layer in a local CRS like EPSG:31370 or EPSG:5439 and a layer in EPSG:3857 (that all use meters as unit) the results are very different (+40% difference). Changing the project CRS makes no difference. When I check the length using the Measure Tool the results are very similar to the local CRS.

How can I measure the length of a line and use it as a label independent from the layer CRS and get results similar to the results of the Measure Tool?

Michel