[Qgis-user] Problem georeferencing images in UTM

Nicolas Cadieux nicolas.cadieux at archeotec.ca
Fri May 18 13:30:57 PDT 2018

Hi,

NAD27 does touch the northern part of South America but you are correct
in saying that it does not extend in Brazil.  I wrote the comments when
I was still trying to figure out where the maps were in the world.  I
often get problems with NAD27 vs NAD83 grid in Canada as many maps have
been printed with the errors in NAD27 military grid reference system.
In those cases, error in much bigger than the standard 30 to 100 metres
error so that was my working hypotheses.   People assume that adjoining
maps use the same CRS and that is often not the case in remote areas.

I was reprojecting the Google map image to the local CRS in order to
figure out the distortion and not using the  WGS 84 Pseudo Merc
coordinates. It's important, like to say to know that there are
differences between the web merc and the various  WGS 84 realizations.
I would like to see the numbers out of curiosity if you have them. I
often wonder why these projections were invented.

BTW, the problem was solved when we used the TPS transformation and not
the linear transformation.

Cheers,

Nicolas