[Qgis-user] QGIS 3.4 macOS still doesn't install GRASS properly, ... 'sigh...'

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Nov 1 06:27:45 PDT 2018

I don't know why you're saying not having a working installer with GRASS, the last few versions have been working as far as I know, I haven't heard of any problems recently.  Yes, this one was broken, now there is a new version to download that is fixed (and shouold stay fixed in the future, for this specific problem).  Really, a polite "GRASS is not working, it's doing this, or not doing that" on the mailing list, or better a bug report, is all that's needed.

> On Oct 31, 2018, at 11:33 AM, Mr. Stace D Maples <stacemaples at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> Seriously, we just can’t get a working installer for macOS? It’s just never gonna happen, is that it? I’d love to be able to teach QGIS alongside Esri, but I can tell people to use something that doesn’t work, out of the box. I’ve been trying for 2 days now to get back to a working copy of QGIS3. It’s my fault, of course. I know better than to upgrade, now.  If you aren’t going to test it properly, don’t release it.
>
> Here is what I get when running GRASS tools:
>
> 2018-10-31T08:54:25     INFO    GRASS GIS 7 execution console output
>          WARNING: Default locale settings are missing. GRASS running with C locale.
>
>          Starting GRASS GIS...
>
>          ERROR: Path '//' doesn't exist
>
>          Default locale not found, using UTF-8
>
>          Exiting...
>
>          WARNING: Default locale settings are missing. GRASS running with C locale.
>
>          Starting GRASS GIS...
>
>          ERROR: Path '//' doesn't exist
>
>          Default locale not found, using UTF-8
>
>          Exiting...
>

> Yes, I read the ReadMe and followed the instructions
> Yes, I’ve added the ENV variables
> Yes, I’ve scrubbed everything and done a clean install (several times)
> Yes, I even tried the futile installation of the GRASS “required frameworks” which seem to be the only solutions anyone is able to suggest on StackExchange.
> Yes I tried installing GRASS on it’s own and pointing to it from the processing settings, which didn’t work.
>
> Perfectly open to suggestions that DON’T involve any of the above.
>

> In F,L&T,
> Stace Maples
> Geospatial Manager
> Stanford Geospatial Center
> @mapninja
> G+, Skype, Hangout: stacey.maples
> 214.641.0920
> Find GeoData: https://earthworks.stanford.edu <https://earthworks.stanford.edu/>
> Get GeoHelp: https://gis.stanford.edu/ <https://gis.stanford.edu/>
>
> "I have a map of the United States... actual size.
> It says, "Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile."
> I spent last summer folding it."
> -Steven Wright-

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.