[Qgis-user] Dissolve tool failing to produce outputs

Andrew Harfoot ajph at geodata.soton.ac.uk
Mon Nov 19 06:47:38 PST 2018

I'm seeing very strange behaviour with a particular shapefile in QGIS
3.4.1. The data can be obtained here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BPVnsUbJREYh6TvLM07GAzXMiMneHemN/view?usp=sharing

When I run the /Vector Geometry > Dissolve/ Processing tool on it, no
errors are raised, an output layer is created containing one row with no
geometry. This happens regardless of the Processing 'Invalid features
filtering' setting.

Running the /GDAL > Vector geoprocessing > Dissolve/ tool on the data
immediately returns an invalid geometry (self intersection) error, but
running /Vector Geometry > Check validity/ finds no errors using either
the GEOS or QGIS engine.

If the /Vector Geometry > Dissolve/ tool is run on a selection from the
shapefile, it will complete successfully if all but one feature is
selected, *regardless of which feature is left unselected*.

I'm not sure whether this is a bug, or my data. Does anyone have any
explanation for the observed behaviour?

Cheers,

Andy

--