[Qgis-user] Node Tool - proposing improvements

Bernhard Ströbl bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
Mon Nov 26 22:47:03 PST 2018

Hi Denis,
thanks for answering

Am 26.11.2018 um 14:00 schrieb Denis Rouzaud:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks a lot for summarising this all.

Basically I was reviewing all related issues to see which need to be
fixed, thus I really played a lot with the new node tool.

> All these issues seem very valid to me, but the logic of bringing back the
> selection of the feature has no valid reasoning to me.
>
> I see a few things that could be improved to solve these issues:
>
> 1) choosing/adding vertex in a dense area:
> We could introduce a feature-locking: whenever you have highlighted a
> feature, pressing ALT would lock the feature. That would allow you to
> safely add/choose/move a vertex on that feature.

Would do for any feature that highlights in the first place. Problem is
that you might have to move around the mouse pointer a lot until your
desired feature highlights and features totally overlapped by others
might still be more cumbersome. That's where the proposal to switch
through the features with right clicks brings improvement. Locking the
feature with ALT would be the same as my choose-proposal but less
intuitive than a left click.

> 2) Highlighting:
> The fact that the highlighting is disturbing is a bit subjective to me.
> Is it too aggressive? If so, default colour and width could be tuned a bit
> I guess.

This was a point raised in one issue and I agree it is subjective. Maybe
it is related to the above, that you have to move around the mouse
pointer a lot and all the times some feature highlights?

> 3) Adding vertex should stay where it was pressed:
> The solution you propose in 13 seems really good to me (double click adding
> leaves new vertex in place).
>
> 4) vertices not alway highlighted:
> solution proposed in 1) would also tackle this one I think.
>
> 5) accidental add/move
> I think that this will only be achieved by training. It is indeed a bit
> less intuitive than previous behaviour.

IMHO the more intuitive a software behaves the better

> But I don't see any way to change this.

Could you explain why?

> A right click very cancels very quickly anything anyway.
>
> 6) consistency
> a) moving vertices
> I don't see the inconsistency here. You can select a vertex and move it
> later, similarly to moving several. Moving a single by simply clicking on
> is just a shortcut to me.

agreed, I could live with that

> b) deleting segments vs vertices
> I think that this also comes with training. The reasoning is that you can
> only select vertices and not segments, and you can delete only what has
> been selected.

If you can only select vertices then the two vertices should be selected
when the segment has been clicked on.

> You are never selecting a segment (it never comes blue),

Current behaviour is that you "select" the segment and are ready to move it.

> clicking on it is only a shortcut to move it. Is there a need to be able to
> delete segments faster?

We do not know what users do. I personally neither need a way to delete
two-vertex segments nor to move them faster than the normal way. But the
current behaviour is kinda "nervous" and if you click in the wrong
moment you have to abolish your move with a right click and try again.

> I think the vertex tool became very powerful at the cost of a steeper
> learning curve. I would really be in favour of trying these ideas before
> adding a click in all operations with the tool.

regards

Bernhard

--
Bernhard Ströbl