[Qgis-user] Node Tool - proposing improvements

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 03:13:14 PST 2018

Hi, it's time for me to join the discussion. Sorry for being late.

I have been involved in the new node tool stages along with others.

First, I agree there are issues with the new node tool, and I think we can
improve this a lot. I myself was not convinced at start it was a good
change. I had to practice a lot, forget my old habits, to finally recognize
this change opens a lot of new possibilities. I also asked at start if we
coudn't keep the old edit mode, and add an optional 'CAD-like' one. ( Under
the hood, the snapping engine does not allow that simply, and this would be
really a UX nightmare, so I didn't fought)

On the rationale and the process of changing the node tool, here is what I
am aware of:

- the old node tool did not allow the use of advanced digitizing
constraints.
- the old node tool did not allow multi layer editing
- Users and contributors worked (an funded) a lot to propose enhancement to
the node tool. A QGEP was opened
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/69.
- A proof of concept plugin was even made.
https://github.com/wonder-sk/CadNodeTool
- In the project I was involved in, which mainly concern editing of
networks (maybe the issue is here), we tested intensively the plugin, and
asked for changes until it can be ported to C++
- We asked quite few times to many users to test the tool during the 3.0
pre release and "early adopters" stages. *We received almost no feedback
then. *

To sum-up things, I think that quite a lot of people have been involved
here, the process has been transparent as much as possible.* Still the use
cases that pushed this changes did not cover enough intensive digitizing of
massive polygons enough*. Moreover users /contributors involved in this
kind of use* did not raise their hand during 2.99, 3.0, 3.2 releases and
feature freeze period.   *

So I think we just need to just recognize that *we miss some early testers*
and
*I would like that every company using QGIS just tries to identify some
"early adopters" among their staff and dedicate some time to anticipate
what in coming by letting them test, read the QEPS, and so on.  *

*And now, we just need to polish the vertex tool. *

As far as my company is concerned, we were not satisfied by two points:

- There was no way to select one particular polygon. Martin Dobias added
just some minutes before the 3.0 release a "selected feature priority" as a
workaround. *Many thanks Martin. *
- Multi layer editing was the default behavior. This didn't play well with
transaction group and triggers in database. My company funded and
developped directly the "single layer vertex editor tool" to avoid that.

We would be glad to help in polishing the tool, but someone needs to
support this now I think. QGIS is user and developper driven. Release
early, release fast process is just made for that.

Best regards
Régis