[Qgis-user] Problem with 3D View: lots of empty (white) holes

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 04:21:45 PDT 2018

Hi Agustin

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 7:02 PM Agustin Lobo <alobolistas at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a DEM for an Island with horseshoe shape, sea as no data.
> When I represent it in 3D, I get all the "no data" propagated to a
> much larger extension.
> See snapshots:
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/i6vm728481qnx2a/Captura1.JPG?dl=0
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/t35v47pg0v5b774/Captura2.JPG?dl=0

This is a known limitation. If you specify higher "Tile resolution",
the effect should be less pronounced (e.g. try 256px instead of the
default 16px). As you zoom in, the problem should also increasingly
disappear as more detailed terrain tiles get loaded. To help you
understand what is going on - the terrain entity is composed of tiles,
each tile samples height from your DEM, by default 16x16 samples per
tile. If some of the samples contain "no data" values, we cannot
create vertices in the terrain for them and so we cannot build faces
around those values.

Probably the best solution to this is to fill the "no data" values in
your DEM for better looking 3D view.

Cheers
Martin