[Qgis-user] "Create Object from geometry" Feature

Schmidt Christian c.schmidt at relis.ch
Thu Oct 11 23:53:07 PDT 2018

Hello QGIS-community,

We are quite new to working with PostGIS in QGIS 3.2.0, so we have some usability-questions…
In the Autodesk world (don't hit me 😉 ) there is a feature called "create object from geometry".
What it does, is to create a new database-object from an existing selected geometry. After creating the object
you enter the attributes needed and commit it to the database.
Is there any similar feature in QGIS? Is there any possibility to conviniently copy db-objects from table to table?
We tried db-manager, but it was just good for importing/exporting data, though it's possible to import data from a temporary Qgis layer.
But then we have problems with shortened attribute names in our temporary layers.
So, is there any way to get/preserve long attribute-names in analysis? For ex. If we use "union" or
"intersect" our input-attributes (from PostGIS) are shortened to shape-file-limit (10 characters?) thus it's quite time-consuming
to get data back into the database.

Thx for your worthy hints, best regards from switzerland.

Christian Schmidt
Stv. Geschäftsleiter
M.Sc. Photogrammetrie u. Geoinformatik
[neuesReLISLogo]